Some eminent blind persons got to gather in Porbandar and discussed at length the status of blind women in the society. They thought of educating, training & rehabilitating the blind girls. It was the 19th June of 1953 when they established literacy classes in Porbandar with a view to empowering blind girls. It was too difficult to attract parents/guardians of the blind girls for getting their blind children admitted in these classes. Ultimately 4 girls started attending classes on payment of 1 ana per day.
This setup known as Andh Mahila Vikas Gruh was shifted to Songadh - Taluka place in Bhavnagar district where it continued for two years with ten blind girls. Recognizing the fact that ample resources for development of educational as well as rehabilitative services would be available in urban areas for achieving the goals of the institution. Andh Mahila Vikas Gruh was brought to Rajkot than capital of Saurashtra state. Gandhian institution Rastriya Shala extended their generosity by allotting 7 small rooms for the purpose of running this institution, the special school for blind girls with residential setup.
The institution was fortunate enough to get land from Rajkot municipality measuring to 8300 Sq. yard at token cost of Rs. 1 per Sq. yard. It was 13th May 1961 when the institution with 23 blind girls was again shifted to the present campus of Andh Mahila Vikas Gruh.
Over the years, the institution gathered momentum in providing variety of services for effective integration & inclusive atmosphere for all round personality development of girls with visual impairment. We request all the well-wishers of the institution to visit our website & be a partner in the process of educating & rehabilitating the girls who have been deprived of the very valuable sense of sight.
Dr. Prakash Mankodi